Halloween is known for costumes, candy, and of course, trick or treating. Most kids can’t wait to go trick or treating. They envision their Halloween buckets full of candy by the night’s end. However, trick or treating for some children can be a little scary. Some children might feel a little anxious about going to a stranger’s door and asking for candy.
In my family, my oldest son was done trick or treating when he was eight. I remember our conversation very clearly. My son said that he wasn’t really scared or anxious about doing it, but it wasn’t something that he really enjoyed. When I asked him what he wanted to do instead, he said that he just wanted to stay home and hand out candy. Of course, he still wanted his share of candy so he asked if I would buy a bag of his favorite candy that he could also enjoy.
Since then, my son and I have enjoyed many different activities on Halloween besides just handing out candy.
Maybe your child is anxious or scared to go trick or treating, or maybe you don’t live in area where you can take your children trick or treating. Whatever your situation, I hope you find this list of things to do with your children on Halloween other than trick or treating helpful.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any links and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Please click here to read my full disclosure page.
10 Fun Activities For Halloween
Instead of Trick or Treating
1. Let your children hand out candy at home in their Halloween costumes
2. Watch a Halloween movie together while enjoying some of their favorite candy
3. Bake and decorate Halloween cookies
4. Complete a Halloween craft together
Check out this list of Halloween crafts from Buggy and Buddy – 50 Super Cool Halloween Crafts for Kids
5. Attend a Harvest Festival or party at a local church
6. Attend a Trunk or Treat event in your community
7. Play board games or Halloween games
Check out this list of fun Halloween games from My Life and Kids – 30 More Halloween Games for Kids
8. Have a Halloween dance party
9. Have a Halloween scavenger hunt at home
Check out this free Halloween scavenger hunt printable from Play Party Plan
10. For your little scientist, try out some of these Halloween S.T.E.M. activities from Crafty Kids at Home – Top 10 Halloween STEM Activities
What activities do your children like to do on Halloween besides trick or treating?